permaculture - [permaculture] book saving

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] book saving
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 13:23:32 -0500

I am paring down and find my children's literature contains some pieces which are classics of their time (40s, 50s, 60s, 70s.)
The types of scenarios in cheerful children's literature feel charming, representational, yet sometimes dangerous if viewed as applicable now. In context, I found them useful even thru 90s to share values of those times with modern children. I am reluctant to junk them.
ex _The Green Thumb Story_ of 1952 is a wonderful view of childhood simplicity as a child learns of his ability to master growing plants. But the lesson he is taught is the need for fertilizer from a bag, and removing as invader anything other than his flowers (although he does interplant 2 types of flowers.) It ends with his reveling in mastery of a lifetime skill of "helping green plants grow." Read with _The Midas Touch_ as the next story, interesting dialogs ensue. But alone, I can't decide to pitch it. It won't be kept as great literature. If it were put in a library it would be discarded as not read any more. Yet I feel it holds important story.
Anyone know about literature banks?

Kathyann