permaculture - Re: [permaculture] book saving

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] book saving
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 06:54:03 -0500

yarrow@sfo.com wrote:
I volunteer for one of the Friends of the Library groups,
one of the very few in our area that gives away books
considered unsalable -- marked up, not new enough, too
specialized, too esoteric, too far removed from what they
know or are interested in. (In other words, the decisions
are arbitrary.) Most of the "salable" books are priced 50
cents to 2 dollars (a few are more). Book dealers swarm
over the generous selection of free books every day, and
sometimes find "unsalable" books they can sell for $100.
As one who enjoys "esoteric" "far from what people today know" "specialized" books this is a loss of resource without a protection scheme. It reminds me of the pages of Archimedes work we only have because someone wrote something religious on the back of and that got kept. The religious owners of the only library deliberately choosing not to keep "dangerous" ideas (like being part of nature instead of in dominion over it) have us only having references to some authors from times not long ago even in human terms. This description is of people idle in today's culture (often supported entirely by it) deciding what is important to the future of that society. We have a new library addition to display attractively 4 rows of new "popular" books and not a complete set of Foxfire because each volume stays or goes on usage over 6 months. Anyone here need how to tan a hide every 6 months? Forge?) Many books are made but where is the last one stored and by whom? Surely there is something building.

Kathyann