permaculture - Re: [permaculture] book saving

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] book saving
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 20:09:42 EST

It seems like everything we create as a society gets produced in great
abundance. Certainly books are something we have in great abundance.

Our county library held a book sale several weeks ago. They filled a vacant
K-Mart the size of a WalMart Superstore with tables stacked with books, and
held a four day blowout. People were all over them like a swarm of locusts.

I was there the day before the end of the sale. There were still tens of
thousands of books left. And they were good ones. Many like new, many in
perfect
condition, many hard to find. A complete Shakespeare, for instance, was one
dollar. The Apocrypha to the Bible, not easy to find... two bucks.

Library policy at the end of the sale is to shred what's left, turning them
into mulch. They don't give them away. I think it's something about swamping
the second hand book market.

Next year they will have that many books again, or more. Each year is usually
bigger than the last.

So many trees devoted to these unread books... But on the other hand, many
get read. On the last day of the sale you can bring home a shopping bag for
$3
or a large box for $5.