permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Plants for nitrate/phosphate uptake

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "roxann" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Plants for nitrate/phosphate uptake
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:31:22 +0000

ha! didn't know that raccoons like hyacinth. it shouldn't be a problem, as
coons also love chickens (which I have plenty of) and the dog is doing a good
job keeping them away already. one of the main reasons i'm interested in this
particular plant is because they are 1) bulky and will add lots of organic
matter to the soil when composted, 2) break down really rapidly under compost
and 3) hopefully are excellent nutrient uptakers, which will serve two
purposes by taking out nutrients from the gray water and adding it back to my
compost/soil. It will be a great dual purpose plant to include in my system
if it is true.

there are lots of local ponds locally, even on of my own, where i can grab
some water with floaters and sediment to innoculate my man-made system. i
hadn't thought of that, so thanks for the suggestion.

roxann, nw ar
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com