permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Plants for nitrate/phosphate uptake

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "roxann" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Plants for nitrate/phosphate uptake
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:36:19 +0000

Hi David -

Thanks for the idea of fungi! The area where my ponds will be located is in a
wooded ravine, so this will likely be an ideal thing to work with. Are there
mushrooms that can grow in high moisture levels? I'm thinking of the
possibilities...sunken pots of media for the mushrooms in the ponds? The
bottoms would be very wet but the tops could be dry enough if i raise them
high enough, i suppose. and then how do mushrooms do as compost - these
wouldn't be edible, would they?? I've heard of Paul Stamets and I believe I
saw where he will be giving a talk somewhere in my region soon...I'll have to
look it up.

As for monitoring your water, there are some Hach brand test kits for field
testing of these things, but we never use them at the lab because they're not
all that reliable and our clients must submit their results to the DEQ. The
instruments we use are too expensive for an individual to want to have it at
home, and the reagents used might be difficult to purchase on your own. I
would recommend working with a local environmental laboratory. It would cost
around $100. But since you don't have results to report to any agency, the
Hach colorimetry test kits might work out just fine for you. I'm planning to
check mine twice a year after it's good and established. I have no idea how
long it will take to reach that point, though!

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com