permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Plants for nitrate/phosphate uptake

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Plants for nitrate/phosphate uptake
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:27:20 -0400

Roxann,
Far cheaper than ferrocement for lining your wetlands is the carpet/plastic/carpet treatment which uses cast off carpeting (with pile toward the plastic) and cheap 6 mil plastic sandwiched between. This is all hidden from view and photo-degradation by the fillings and soil on the edges. When freshly completed all you see is the top layer of gravel with the water about 6 inches below the surface.

We had water irises, jewelweed volunteers, rushes, lobelia cardinalis, sedges, acorus calamus, arrowhead (sagittaria) swampland asters (novae-angliae), Joe Pye (Eupatorium) and others in ours.
Other potential varieties include swamp milkweed, marsh marigold, and horsetail (careful - spreads like mad).

roxann wrote:
Thanks Keith. I like the trench idea. I'll be working with ferrocement to freestyle my ponds and trench shapes so I should be able to do this easy enough. Hyacinths! yes, that is the one i was thinking of. i used to live there and these are very problematic for boaters and pond owners out there. since they can't survive our winters, they shouldn't be a problem species here if some escape my ponds. i think they are very good themselves for nutrient uptake. i'll check all the plants i use before and after they've been in place for a while to see who's the best. i'll have a greenhouse, so i can overwinter some in there in a metal stock pond with some fish.
this is all beginning to formulate into a plan, thanks y'all!

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com
--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47408
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
Impeachment: It's not just for blowjobs anymore.
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a
small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild