permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Plants and/or propagation material

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Plants and/or propagation material
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:30:39 -0700

Keith Johnson wrote:
Vital,
If you lived near me (S.Indiana) you could dig up seedlings by the hundreds as they have naturalized locally and in much of the eastern US. They are tolerant of wet or dry, acid or alkaline soils.

Keith (et al): Are you sure that's Elaeagnus x ebbingei? I know that Autumn olive (E. umbellata) was planted by the hundreds of thousands all over the eastern US by highway departments, has naturalized, and is on invasive species lists. But ebbingei is pretty recently on the market, and is a hybrid, so won't grow true from seed. I did a little web surfing, and pretty much everything I see about ebbingei being invasive shows signs of confusing it with umbellata. Plants for a Future says it's not considered invasive in the US, and that seeds don't germinate easily, and web-posters who seem to be literate in botanical Latin concur. I grew ebbingei in southern Oregon, and it's a lovely shrub, drought tolerant, with tasty small berries and and N-fixer. Hard to beat that. Never saw any seedlings near it in ten years.

I highly recommend Lawyer Nursery, if they carry it. Big quantities, cheap.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com