permaculture - [permaculture] Very few worms in acid soil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Vital Scherrer" <vital233@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Very few worms in acid soil
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:06:34 +0100

Hello,

The soil of my plot has a pH of about 4.1 and is poor. I hardly ever find any earthworms in the soil and very few in the mulch. I have been mulching for about 10 years with the prunings of the acacias, which grow between the fruit trees. As it may have a positive effect on suppressing weeds and preserving soil moisture, it does seem to have very little effect, if at all, on the soil fertility. I did apply the - from the agricultural laboratory (based on a soil analysis) - recommended amounts of soil correctives, like calcified seaweed and other plant or rock based mineral supplements.
Can anyone tell me what else I can do to improve the soil and to possibly get earthworms, which penetrate, aerate and fertilize the soil?

Kind regards

Vital

Die neue MSN Suche Toolbar mit Windows-Desktopsuche. Suchen Sie gleichzeitig im Web, Ihren E-Mails und auf Ihrem PC! Jetzt neu! http://desktop.msn.de/ Jetzt gratis downloaden!