permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Plants and/or propagation material

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Plants and/or propagation material
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 05:42:41 -0400

Vital Scherrer wrote:

I just recently discovered and subscribed to this mailing list, though I am just about full time into developing a plot according to permaculture principles for more than ten years.
However - I am not sure whether this is the right place for this request - I am looking and kind of urgently in need for about just as long - with no success so far - of a rather large quantity (any up to a 1000) of plants (about one year old rooted cuttings or seedlings) and/or propagation material (fresh seed, fruits or cuttings) of the Elaeagnus species x ebbingei, -macrophylla and -cordifolia and other suitable multi-purpose (preferably evergreen) plants for an impenetrable hedge, which are tolerant of acid, poor and sometimes dry soil conditions.
So, if anyone can let me know about a possible supplier of such for a reasonable price, it would be highly appreciated.

Have a look at this:
http://shizutanischool.com/pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/general/eleagnus
Plants For A Future
R.J. Morris
Elaeagnus x ebbingei - A Plant for all Reasons.

People in the NAFEX forums will probably have an answer for you.

Eleagnus angustifolia produces edible fruit and fragrant flowers, may not be
evergreen but produces a
formidable hedge. It is very hardy, drought resistant and grows vigorously.

http://www.raingardens.com/seedpage/fruit.htm
D2219 RUSSIAN OLIVE. ELAEAGNUS ANGUSTIFOLIA.
5 seeds $1.95

http://tmseeds.com/product/9688
Elaeagnus umbellata
Hardy Deciduous Shrub
1 packet (50 seeds) @ $4.25
1-800-274-7333
Thompson & Morgan
220 Faraday Avenue
Jackson, NJ 08527-5073

I should have saved seeds from my wild Russian olive this summer; will next
year.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.