permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Christians - was woodstove

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Christians - was woodstove
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 12:50:27 -0700

At 8:02 PM -0400 10/8/07, Dylan Ford wrote:
Folks - I heard somewhere recently that a new translation of the Bible is
being done from original source materials which has turned up many
innacurate translations in earlier (the generally accepted) texts....

Yes, in the past year or two I've heard interviews on the radio with someone who's been translating from aramaic and discovered that much of the original bible etc. depicts a totally different world view vs. the usual translation, which was colored by the Greek and Roman world views. It's hard to imagine a hierarchical, dominator, either/or system coming out of the aramaic world view.

Neil Douglas-Klotz's translations are poetic and don't sound like they necessarily come from a deist tradition. I googled and found some of them in case anyone else is interested...

based on the Aramaic version of Mark 12: 31
"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.":
Give birth to compassion for the nearest,
yet unfamiliar, aspect of your self,
as you do for the one outside
who feels like a stranger.

Give birth to the deepest warmth fo
the neighbor, inside and out,
as you do for your own
subconscious community,
inside and out.

The "lord's prayer" translated from aramaic
O, Birther of the Cosmos, focus your light within us -- make it useful
Create your reign of unity now
Your one desire then acts with ours,
As in all light,
So in all forms,
Grant us what we need each day in bread and insight:
Loose the cords of mistakes binding us,
As we release the strands we hold of other's guilt.
Don't let surface things delude us,
But free us from what holds us back.
From you is born all ruling will,
The power and the life to do,