permaculture - [permaculture] CRMPI fire!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Johnathan Avery Yelenick" <yelenick@riseup.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] CRMPI fire!
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 15:12:07 -0600 (MDT)

I got word that there was just recently a fire at the Central Rocky
Mountain Permaculture Institute. crmpi.org

> Hey all,
>
> Thanks Tim for sending the shout out to all the Permis. We are in the
process
> of updating the web page so we can keep everyone posted of the
reconstructing of
> Pele. Jerome's mood seems better day by day with all of the calls of
> supporters. The community around here is AMAZING. Since I have been
back up
> here working the phone has been ringing off the hook with people who
want to
> help and what not. When we talked yesterday we both kind of agreed that
this
> was a blessing in disguise. I'll keep you all posted by email until we
get the
> website up to date.
> I hope all is well with everyone.
> Best Wishes,
> Mandi Lynn
>
> Timothy R Lindholm <timlindholm@wildblue.net> wrote:
> Hi...I went up to visit with Jerome this afternoon. I think he is okay
> despite being obviously sad about loosing Pele. A day later, and he
still had
> some adrenaline flowing while we talked and walked up to the ridge to
close up
> the upper green house for the night. He was visibly happy when we poked
our
> heads in to feel the warmth and to see the bright mairgolds, the tall green
> basil, and all in order here.
>
> Back on the subject of Pele and sounding like the true permaculturist
he is,
> Jerome asked me to tell you that he is excited to turn this "problem into a
> solution." A new green house, a green house that will showcase all
that Pele
> has taught him and more.
>
> The new director of CORE (a local non-profit that supports Jerome's
mission)
> has committed matching funds for a new green house fund raising. More
details
> about this should be in a follow-up story later this week in the Aspen
Times.
> With money and allot of "ants" to help, Jerome said he is excited to look
> forward, not back, towards a new and better green house (with a larger
and even
> more tropical pebble beach).
>

> Like any sudden change, I felt myself in disbelief while standing
there in the
> smelly ashes where just a week ago we were laughing with Jerome (and where
> Adrian and Cassandra spent their nights). Jerome started to tell me
that he has
> so many memories, but cut himself off saying that is how people make
themselves
> sick worrying about the past and things you can't change. Then his face
> brightened, and he started to talk about the good that can come out this
new
> bare spot on his hill.
>

> He said Mandi was up to help him yesterday, and she will be back
tomorrow
> with more help--thanks Mandi! It was really hard for me, especially as
part of
> the nursery team:) to see the heritage trees that were in the pots
around the
> picnic table pretty much gone. Actually, the plastic pots were gone and
little
> heaps of dirt with a stick in the middle were all that remained.
Amazingly, the
> big Doug fir was only singed. The storage space/new workshop and chicken
> coop--gone. Sri got a corner burned off. Jerome said Sri is done.
Mana got
> singed and the plastic pooching up from the fig tree was
melted...repairable

> Hopefully, what remains of the nursery can be bought and used before
the snow
> flies...I will do what I can to get some plants in the ground soon.
Basically,
> just plain great that Jerome is not hurt and his house is still
standing. I
> hope you are all well. Love and peace,
> Tim

"If your experience is that your water comes from the tap and that your
food comes from the grocery store then you are going to defend to the
death the system that brings those to you because your life depends on
that; if your experience is that your water comes from a river and that
your food comes from a land base then you will defend those to the death
because your life depends on them. So part of the problem is that we have
become so dependent upon this system that is killing and exploiting us, it
has become almost impossible for us to imagine living outside of it and
it's very difficult physically for us to live outside of it."
— Derrick Jensen

  • [permaculture] CRMPI fire!, Johnathan Avery Yelenick, 10/09/2007