permaculture - Re: [permaculture] small cooking woodstove / mass heaters / urban coppice

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] small cooking woodstove / mass heaters / urban coppice
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 23:23:40 -0400

Just because not everyone is familiar with the principles of mass heaters, here's a nutshell version, ad lib.

High-temperature-combustion mass heaters make the best use of many kinds of non-log dry carbonaceous material, i.e. stored sunlight (thus Scott's recommendation of the traditional bundles of sticks and twigs used instead of logs for centuries by cultures around the world) by burning it with the draft wide open for maximum temperature / oxidation (1500F +/-) plus least residue and fumes. The heat is retained by the lengthy and massive convoluted flue which can also be oven, cookstove, furniture, floor, wall, waterheater or bed depending on how it is shaped.

If one wished to take a parabolic lense and focus it into a hole in a mass heater (as Mollison has suggested) and get the heat into it that way, well, that would make your carbon fuel go further....ditto microclimates, sunspace, animal heat, passive solar, summer heat stored in insulated rock wells, etc, etc. If by growing our own food we reduce our need to earn the money to buy food, then by growing our own twig fuel from renewable coppice we reduce the need to burn trees. Cities CAN grow carbon.

The combustion of carbon for heat is likely to be with us for some time to come. Let's be smart in our use of it and get the highest yield. There are always many solutions and rarely, if ever, any one-size-fits-all solutions.

I lived in a forest-based ecovillage where the air quality in winter could be very bad due to people not knowing how to use woodstoves efficiently (or using crappy woodstoves) and a tendency for air inversions in the valley. If everyone had mass heaters and used them properly the difference would have been significant. Translating this same tech en masse to the city is probably not recommended but as a proper percentage probably doable. A good urban forest would help enormously. Cities have to literally become MUCH greener.

lbsaltzman@aol.com wrote:.
Human control of fire began with Home Erectus and is probably a good 500,000 years old as far as paleo-archeologists can determine.
Human control of fire is a relatively
recent phenomenon. What did we do before that?
--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47408
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
Impeachment: It's not just for blowjobs anymore.
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a
small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild