permaculture - Re: [permaculture] critique of pastured poultry

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Kahn <david@sustainablehabitats.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] critique of pastured poultry
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:05:20 -0700

Chicken? National Security!
For a few months now, I have been raising my own small flock of chickens (Six hens and a rooster). I live on a 1/2 acre permaculture demo site in the city of Los Angeles (www.sustainablehabitats.org). Until I started my own flock it was hard to imagine how much value these chicken can be. It goes way beyond just meat,eggs or money!
They provide me and two families with enough eggs, the soil fertility is way up, plus as a neighborhood attraction they have been such a great show educating both kids and their parents with basic knowledge they just did not know. Getting connected with my neighbors on many levels is invaluable. The chickens are very happy, they don't eat grain or chicken feed they much prefer foraging on whatever is there. To my astonishment they are feeding off grass and insects all day long while totally ignoring their chicken feed. If this continues, I will be very happy too!
Considering that in the US we waste more than half of the food we buy. I can see how these chicken can feed on some of that waste if need be especially that few of us compost their food waste. I highly recommend and think it is necessary for all of us to keep chickens in our yards if not for their intrinsic value for our food security! think about it.