permaculture - Re: [permaculture] critique of pastured poultry

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] critique of pastured poultry
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:51:34 -0400

Yes, I was going to mention stews. Every culture has tough meat stews that
are delicious. Mexican cuisine has many stew-like ways to prepare tough
meat.? Try Birria sometime made with old?tough goats. This is an issue I have
been thinking about for awhile since I took a friend on a tour of the local
farmers market and suggested recipes for what was available. He had been
scared to buy fresh produce because he didn't know how to prepare what he
bought.?

I think teaching people how to cook with what is available regionally,
seasonally and raised sustainably is a critical component in moving towards a
sustainable future.?Significant portions of the populations of first world
countries, particularly the U.S. have lost valuable the valuable knowledge of
how to cook in an improvised way depending on what is available.

Larry
Santa Barbara CA