permaculture - Re: [permaculture] critique of pastured poultry

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "roxann" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] critique of pastured poultry
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:12:52 +0000

I never did like the idea of the moveable pens, they cram them full of
chickens just like the factory houses. My chickens are true free range right
now, and predation has been low due to the dog who guards them. but i do plan
to move my chickens into the garden rotation when all the fences are built
and use them as garden tillers, fertilizers, and de-seed and de-buggers.
they'll still get the afternoons to free range outside the garden, but will
come in to the henhouse at night. these will not be the production broilers,
but most one of the hardier breeds suited for forage. people will have to be
ready for a stronger, tougher bird, though - not the anemic (sp?) mushy kind
of the grocery store. and it may not work for that reason alone as a small
scale commercial endeavor. but i do have a few ready customers who requested
exactly this so, it may work, but never to the scale of Tyson.

roxann, nw ar