permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Crabgrass, Bermuda grass, etc.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Crabgrass, Bermuda grass, etc.
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 01:20:31 -0700 (PDT)

Paul,

Plantain will grow pretty much anywhere. If anything, my fields with
crabgrass have worse drainage than other places.

Regarding the rye, I have bad news. The crabgrass already shows
through the patches where I had rye in the winter. The rye does of
course display allelophatic properties towards weeds; however, the
allelophatic function weakens after you cut the rye, even if you leave
the straw as mulch. This makes the rye option useless for me since
I don’t have enough humidity to grow rye in the summer.

I will try seeding the plantain into the crabgrass invested fields.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net> wrote: I associate plantain with
poor winter drainage. Perhaps that is what the
crabgrass can't take. I recall from unknown sources that winter rye is
allelopathic, and so makes a good smother crop -- so confirmation
through hearsay.
Paul Cereghino