permaculture - [permaculture] Crabgrass, Bermuda grass, etc.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Crabgrass, Bermuda grass, etc.
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 02:57:52 -0700 (PDT)

Many thanks to all who replied in this thread. Apart from crabgrass
and Bermuda grass, there is also Kikuyu Grass. We are blessed with
all three of them. Among the 3 methods for controlling this type of
grass:

- applying lime,
- spreading partially decayed wood mulch
- growing rye or ryegrass,

I like the rye or ryegrass best, since it permits to grow new biomass
in the process. I actually had some patches with rye and ryegrass in
the winter, so far they seem to be free of crabgrass, but the real test
will come in the summer.

I also noticed that places with plantago lanceolata and plantago maior
(plantain) are free of crabgrass, but I don’t know how effective they
are for combating this type of grass.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail,
news, photos & more.