permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Crabgrass, Bermuda grass, etc.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Crabgrass, Bermuda grass, etc.
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:34:39 -0700

I also noticed that places with plantago lanceolata and plantago maior (plantain) are free of crabgrass, but I don’t know how effective they are for combating this type of grass.

I associate plantain with poor winter drainage. Perhaps that is what the crabgrass can't take. I recall from unknown sources that winter rye is allelopathic, and so makes a good smother crop -- so confirmation through hearsay.
Paul Cereghino