permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Design-Bioregional-Energy Policy-Supply vs. Demand and What the hell does this have to do with Permaculture?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kenneth Benway" <ken@arcadiandesign.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Design-Bioregional-Energy Policy-Supply vs. Demand and What the hell does this have to do with Permaculture?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 04:09:59 -0400

These energy consumption statistics are certainly mind boggling to say
the least. They are indicative of a thousand freight trains in the
process of going over a cliff.

One the biggest problems facing us as we attempt to move toward
renewable energy sources for power is that the playing field is not
even, or remotely resembling a free market system.

Whether we are talking about the host of way's oil companies get
subsidies from the taxpayer both direct and indirect, and all of their
mostly covert permutations, such as the externalization of fossil fuel
costs born out of the Iraq War and others yet to come, we can see
clearly that a political (body politic) discussion of these issues has
no relevance to Permaculture.

What the hell was I thinking? Maybe I just need to get back into the
garden and pretend these issues don't exist. It sure would be less of a
hassle than attempting to wake up a subset of the Permaculture community
intent on not-so-whole-system design. It's sad really, just plane sad.

It is gradually becoming evident to me that the "largest permaculture
mailing list on the planet" as purported by the "Permaculture Activist"
website, may represent a definition of permaculture that seems to
reflect the manipulative views of a few "controllers" bent on limiting
and controlling free speech and diverse viewpoints on this forum.

One of the most disturbing manifestations of this attempt to control
our thoughts and the free flow of ideas on this list, are the direct
threats to "remove" or "lock out" individuals whose views or topics
either we don't agree with, or see any value in. Why not let the readers
decide, individually (not group think) what is of value to them or not.
Don't you "controllers" trust in our ability to think for ourselves?
What exactly are you afraid of?

Why have we become so threatened by others views or opinions, especially
when they DO relate to permaculture? Oh, but you don't understand. They
don't relate to permaculture according to my definition. Your definition
is flawed, only my definition is right, and to prove it I'm not going to
let you play in my sandbox anymore. Please leave Martin, we don't want
to play with you, you are sick, go away, we don't want to deal with your
pain. Just go away. We don't want to deal with our pain either. Just go
away. We don't want to look at ourselves. Just go away.

I mean really people, let's wake up here and get a f****** (self
censorship is different) clue.

Who knows, if we left the "list" garden alone, if just for a little
while, so we could observe the patterns of ebb and flow in an unimpeded
way, we might be surprised how the natural laws of attraction and
equilibrium play out. Eventually we might see an increase in yield
(membership) rather than the current trend of individuals choosing to,
or considering, leaving this venue. Myself included. (That’s if the
thought police don't remove me first.)

My sense is that the garden would thrive, without the help of the
pesticides of repression, censoring or controlling behavior. This has
been my experience in the garden.

Sometimes I wonder, particularly with respect to this list, is it worth
the effort? Your choice.

Ken