permaculture - [permaculture] greenschooling

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Primal Parent" <primalparent@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] greenschooling
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 06:37:34 +0000

first off, sorry for any redundancies and for the delay but here are what i consider the most pc-relevant links for schooling:

the one thing i recommend above all other is getting carolyn nuttal's food forest and food forest resource sheets. they are excellent. i think they were both under $40 including shipping from australia. she's doing a lot with "learnscaping"

robin clayfield's manual for teaching permaculture creatively has a chapter on teaching children through games and active involvement. wonderful stuff.
http://www.earthcare.com.au/edu/

heather coburn flores book 'food not lawns' (chelse green) has a chapter called 'the next generation' with tips and ideas for working with kids. she'd doing some kick-ass work and we should all support her

in the same vein i also recommend sharon lovejoys 'sunflower houses' and 'roots, shoot, buckets, & boots'. though not technically "permaculture" there both a lot of fun.

patty parks-wasserman is working on the institute of permaculture education for children at 78 el rey drive corrales, n.m.
patty has been very supportive of the childrens permaculture resource network and i look forward to working with her in the future.

robina mccurdy ran the (now defunct) childrens permaculture foundation from 1989-1994
i believe she wrote a small article on 'pc for children' in the vol.3 #1 feb. 87 issue of permaculture activist (which i believe is still available). i think she's doing more ecovillage-community oriented work nowadays

salli ramsden and tania strebl presented 'zone c: a place for children' at he 6th ipc. supposedly salli was working on a comprehensive list of publications suitable for pc in schools.
http://www.rosneath.com.au/ipc6/ch05/ramsden/index.html

i believe joanne tippett has done some work in this area. holocene.net

jacqui hunter might be of some help as well huntergd@chariot.net.au

fiona campbell and ross grayson compiled the amazing 'permaculture goes to school..." in 1997. i'd be more than glad to send you a copy.

dr. charlie headington wrote teaching permaculture in a school garden. interesting montessori experiment.

robin c. moore wrote 'children gardening:first steps toward a sustainable future' robin does a lot of work with landscape architecture and childhood development.

some past discussions archived:
pc in schools - https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2006-January/022836.html
curriculum for children - https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2002-July/015300.html
workbook for children - https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2006-December/025475.html

gardening with children has some useful links
http://www.canh.asn.au/community_gardening/sa-cgkit-Gardenin.html

edible schoolyard in berkely, ca http://www.edibleschoolyard.org/garden.html

specifically for kids:

elpels 'shanleyas quest' is sort of a 'botany in a day' for young readers. wonderful. available from hollowtop.com

graham burnett drew a brilliant little zine called 'our allotment'. i make copies and hand them out to random kids whenever we go to festivals and fairs. you can find it at http://www.spiralseed.co.uk/

april's got three stories for children on her front page at http://permaculturevisions.com/

another little zine is 'the abc's of permaculture' coloring book where each page has an edible plant and pc terms for each letter (i.e. c is for comfrey, chicken tractor, chamomile, compost, companion planting, etc). copies available from me.

lost valley education center in oregon hosted a kids permaculture day camp in 2006. worth looking into

here is a website called Perma-Kidz. some neat stuff kids might like. http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/6700/permakid.html

finally, there are dozens of sources for slow-foods in schools, edible landscaping, and farms to school cafeteria programs that are worth hooking up with.

as far a permaculture goes that's about it, not a lot for kids. which is why i started the CPRN. the bibliography could go on for days (especially if you include general ecology books) but i would definitly include some nature awareness/primitive skills to the curriculum. but perhaps that's for another thread...

best of luck,
roman