permaculture - Re: [permaculture] greenschooling

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] greenschooling
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 06:24:20 -0500

Jenny Katz wrote:
Hi all--

I've been playing around with something I'm calling "greenschooling"-- education in the permacultural mold, which is to say: environmentally based, but taking nature as structure and model rather than just as subject matter.
Here's link to my Public School attempt. The website is not highest priority. The kids are top, the curriculum in software any school can use second. Feel free to contact me direct. We are granted to write up the curriculum this summer (which you can imagine is the most interesting part- tracking both traditionally and organically.)
http://www.ridgeandvalley.org

Recommend book to begin- Self-Design by Brent Cameron.
His plan best I've seen, and I've been doing this for 25 years. (there are other models closer to traditional that are weaning school districts over but if one could go direct, this would be my choice.)
http://www.wondertree.org/

Connection AERO Alternative Education Resource Organization has a bunch of us who are similarly engaged (especially among the School Starters)
http://www.educationrevolution.org/index.html

Peace,
Kathyann