permaculture - [permaculture] Greenschooling

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michelle Maggiore" <mmaggior@mindspring.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Greenschooling
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:55:33 -0400

Hi Jenny ~

I love the word "greenschooling".....
I am a homeschooling /permaculturist mom with three kids ages 10-14, and
some of my favorite resources lately are

Websites:
A canadian based magazine in print and online called: www.greenteacher.com
The family in Calif on 1/4 acre doing awesome things: www.pathtofreedom.com

These books:
"Teaching as a Subversive Activity"
"Food not Lawns" by H. Flores (excellent resources section)
"The Earth User's Guide to Permaculture" and its teacher's notes (sold
separately)by Rosemary Morrow
"A Children's Food forest" and its corresponding "food Forest Resource
Sheets" both by Carolyn Nuttall.

These magazines:
New Moon magazine
Orion magazine
Permaculture Magazine

Also, my kids really loved segment 4 of the Global Gardener series, where
they show a very green dev't in California (Village Homes)- it always gives
our family something to aspire to, and :imagine". We really want to take a
field trip out there sometime soon, looks like heaven to me.

Additionally, I was originally inspired to move to this area partly because
of all the great things going on related to concern about the environment,
and one of the outstanding examples was a school based mainly on Ecology and
Arts. My kids have taken a few classes there, and the founder (Ernie Reed) is
one of the writers of the holisitic homeschool curriculum, Oak Meadow. I do
not use Oak Meadow, but many of my friends love it, and it is a very
green-friendly template. I believe the LEC school picks up where Oak Meadow
leaves off, in about 8th grade, but here is their website, and I am certain
Ernie would have some more good information for you if you care to contact
him.
www.livingeducationcenter.com

Have fun!

Michelle in VA

SUSTAINABLE SCOTTSVILLE
Creating sustainable options right here at home:
www.sustainablescottsville.com