permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Infeasible power fantasies (Was: Energy-Energy Policy-Bioregional Design-The Sustainability of Biofuels.US.FL)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Infeasible power fantasies (Was: Energy-Energy Policy-Bioregional Design-The Sustainability of Biofuels.US.FL)
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:02:39 +1000

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, Robyn Francis wrote:
> Solar Voltaics are only one means of solar power generation. Many of the
> new solar thermal systems actually peak at 2am so the issue and some store
> heat to generate energy for several days. The only issue then is backup for
> extended cloudy wet periods.

Hi Robyn,

Are these the things that look like a black corrugated iron roof,
and that get stupidly hot in even the mildest heat .. ? I've seen
these, and am expect I'll head down that path for my own hot
water system. Do you have some pointers to manufacturer or retail
pages of the 2am-peak style systems that you're referring to?

As you say, storage of energy becomes the big one, and this is
why solar will always be a component of a green energy provisioning
system .. until room temperature superconductors are invented,
that is.

Jedd.