permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Driver Ticketed for Using Biofuel

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Driver Ticketed for Using Biofuel
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:21:32 -0400

lbsaltzman@aol.com wrote:

I certainly think what they did to this person stinks. But I want to raise a
question about his or her actions. Is buying oil for a car that is meant as
human food actually sustainable and a good idea? It is one thing to use
recycled cooking oil and it is another thing to use new cooking oil. I am
somewhat dubious about growing fuel crops altogether. With time and effort
perhaps this can be done sustainably on land not well suited to crops, but
the way we are going all that is happening is that food prices are being
driven up and rain forests are being cut down to feed cars not people.

With the exception of biodiesel crops the rest is worthless and damaging to the environment and the economy, not to mention wasteful of all resources that went in to growing these crops when they could have been put to better use like diverse food cropping.

In case you haven't noticed the rising value of corn used for alcohol fuel
production will make corn used
for food go up also, possibly dramatically. This will make food prices go up and the food service industry will be greatly affected as will consumers forced to pay higher prices for products. Add to that the fact that most of the corn grown is GMO and herbicides are used to grow it guess who benefits in a big way? Answer: Monsanto and other biotech and pesticide manufacturing corporations. Grow more corn for ethanol crops, help the friendly (NOT) folks at Monsanto and other producers of these abominations.
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm