permaculture - Re: [permaculture] crabgrass & bermuda graa/Charles waters' book

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] crabgrass & bermuda graa/Charles waters' book
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:33:41 -0400

Michelle Maggiore wrote:
Hi...
Is bermudagrass the same as crabgrass? I found by accident this year that
an area that had a winter cover crop of rye did not have ANY bermuda grass
(in an area heavily prone and surrounded by it). Unfortunately, I did not
plant rye grass in all the new beds I built over the winter, so I am looking
for a summer alternative until I can plant rye grass in there in the fall.
The calcium defiiciency sounds like a probability here, too. The book sounds
very interesting; will try to get a copy from interlibrary loan.
Many Thanks,
Michelle in VA

What he was calling crabgrass was actually Bermuda grass, the single worst
weed I have ever encountered.

Crabgrass:

Weed Smooth crabgrass and large crabgrass
Scientific Name Digitaria ischaemum and D. sanguinalis
Family Grass Family (Poaceae)
Life Cycle Summer annuals
Reproduction Method Reproduce primarily by seeds. Large crabgrass can
also reproduce by long, rooting tillers.
Appearance Both crabgrasses are much-branched and upright or prostrate. Large crabgrass is normally mat forming, often has purple stems, and can grow to more than 3 feet in height. Smooth crabgrass is usually 15 inches or less.
Leaves The leaves of large crabgrass are pale blue green, pubescent on both sides, and with margins that may be rough. They are flat, sharply pointed, 1/4 to 2/5 inch wide, and 2 to 6 inches long. Smooth crabgrass leaves are normally dull green, sometimes purple tinged, and with margins that may be rough. They are sharply pointed, sparsely pubescent near the base, 1 to 4 inches long, and 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide.
Flowers Large crabgrass flowers are borne in a raceme with 3 to 13 purplish finger-like spikes up to 6 inches long. They occur in whorls at end of stout stalks during August and September. The flowers of smooth crabgrass are borne in a raceme with 2 to 6 finger-like, purplish spikes up to 4 inches long, and at end of flowering stalks. They also occur August and September.
Occurrence Both crabgrasses can be found in most warm, moist, fertile lawns in sun where turf is thin or mowed too short. They will tolerate hot, dry, compacted soils after establishment, and may spread aggressively to crowd out desirable grasses.
Non Chemical Control To control without chemicals maintain turf density and health through proper culture; avoid light, frequent irrigation, spring cultivation, short mowing, and summer fertilization. They can also be hand-pulled or mechanically removed.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm