permaculture - Re: [permaculture] greenschooling

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Linda Shewan" <linda.shewan@bryn.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] greenschooling
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:28:54 +1000

Hi Jenny,

This may not be what you are looking for but my boys are 7 and 9 and I
desperately want to work out a way to continue the type of education
they have now into the future, except with perhaps a deeper ecology than
we currently have...

I heard Satish Kumar speak a few weeks ago about his Small School in
England. It was amazing to hear so many of my ideas on schooling are
already happening! This article says it all
http://www.resurgence.org/resurgence/issues/kumarschool226.htm.

My children are in a Montessori school (progressive Montessori I would
say) in Australia and I am running the sustainability module there as a
volunteer. Some of the small school principles are already in action -
our 6-12 year olds are currently running projects building cob ovens,
chook sheds, a rainforest and an edible maze - so hands on projects
using natural materials in a natural environment are part of our
overriding principles. With this interaction in nature they care for the
site and the people in it - because they created it...

We have also completed a permaculture site design for the school and one
of the areas within it is a food forest which will be run on Natural
Farming Principles. So far we have distributed seeds with hay scattered
over them to disguise them but the crows and sparrows found them all
within days! So no green manure this year... with the NF framework in
mind we teach the children that we should not expect nature to provide
but to feel blessed when she does. They are learning the weeds they can
eat and not to be afraid of nature - with the seriously deadly spiders
and snakes we have in Australia that one is taking some time!

I'm not sure if any of this is useful to you but feel free to contact me
off list if it is...

Please let us know when your website is up.

Cheers, Linda