permaculture - [permaculture] starting some fruit trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Kosuth <prkosuth@ll.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] starting some fruit trees
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:10:24 -0500

Hi all,

Rural King has all their stuff half price which includes some fruit trees: apples and pears. I have a pretty shaded yard with some understory oaks and redbuds in my neighbors yard on the fence line. Also I have some 8- 10 ft rose of sharons in the yard. THe total light would be about 5-6 hours full sun (that may be generous) and partial sun at other times. For about $30 I can get two dwarf apples and a dwarf pear. Since dwarf sized trees can grow on the lot should I go ahead and give this a try? Should I start with one tree?

Any thoughts would be great. I really need to get going with some perrenials.

Thanks,

Paul K
prkosuth@ll.net