permaculture - Re: [permaculture] anti-semitism or naivete

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ben Martin Horst" <ben.martinhorst@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] anti-semitism or naivete
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 12:30:27 -0700

It's been 140 years since the end of slavery and 40 years since the
the end of OFFICIAL, LEGAL segregation. Nobody wants you to wallow in
guilt and shame, but it certainly isn't "wallowing" to decide to
recognize and address racism. It's awful convenient for white people
to say, "Whew, I'm glad all that racism stuff is over," and get back
to their business, at the same time that African American, Latino, and
Native people are paid lower wages for the same jobs, African
Americans are incarcerated at a higher rate and for longer sentances
than whites who commit the same or similar crimes, and murders and
rapes of Native people are consistently ignored and/or covered up by
(white) law enforcement officials in places like Alaska and South
Dakota.

White people -- in whatever country or whatever continent -- tend to
be lousy at recognizing racism, because historically and currently
they are the beneficiaries. If you want to know whether racism still
exists, don't ask your white buddies. Pay attention to what "minority"
groups are saying.

Please don't continue to assert that racism no longer exists,
Lawrence. You're just digging your hole that much deeper, you're
denying the reality many people face every day, and you're certainly
not helping the cause of permacuture.

Ben