permaculture - Re: [permaculture] anti-semitism or naivete

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] anti-semitism or naivete
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 14:02:12 -0500

Like I said, why don't we just kill everybody we disagree with?

You're favorite rhetorical tactic is to depersonalize those you disagree with, it's very much the 20th century approach to disagreement. You are no different than the people you are condemning, you have your own version of divide and conquer. I just don't think that has anything to do with permaculture. I believe in loving my enemies and while I don't always achieve that goal, I think it is a very permacultural approach.

Consider the Oklahoma Food Cooperative. If we adopted your view of political correctness as a condition of collaboration, then we would have never gone anywhere. Our first organizing committee had lesbians, pagans, and fundamentalist Christian Republicans on it, and most points in between. Most of our people would never be in the same room as some of the others in our organization, much less collaborating so closely on a common activity. But we leave all our other issues at the door and come together and find common ground around a table of fellowship. Yes, it's true. In Oklahoma City pagan lesbians sit at the same table with Christian fundamentalists and even manage to join together in a common blessing over the food.

Our society has any number of ways to divide us. It takes no effort at all to play that game, that is the way we are programmed.

I think that if permaculture is going to have a growing influence, we need to avoid that divide and conquer game. Your regular use of hate speech in this forum against your political opponents does not move the permaculture movement forward, it holds it back.

Bob Waldrop, OKC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>