permaculture - Re: [permaculture] goat fencing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "mossmans" <mossmans@internode.on.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] goat fencing
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:10:32 +1100

Not sure where you live but we don't use electric for the goats, remember it
hurts humans as well, and I often end up touching it. We use a fence line
with wooden end posts with a strainer (the bit on angle) to make sure it
doesn't give way, then use metal star posts every 2 - 3 metres and put about
5 strands of 2.5 mm fencing wire along the whole run, and then clip a mesh
wire or ringlock to that after having stretched it tight.

The reason for 115cm high is that the very athletic boy goats can jump over
some thing shorter, so it needs to keep them out of where you don't want
them

An Australian website is www.whiteswires.com.au and go to hints, or check
other wire fence manufacturers.

Nutmeg does tend to put her feet on the wire to get her head over, or will
poke her head through to get the last morsel of grass, but is strong enough
to prevent dogs and suchlike getting through.

Sue