permaculture - [permaculture] goat space

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] goat space
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:58:06 -0700

I am considering a pair of goats for milk. How much yard space would you consider minimum:

1. for psychological health of a pair of goats
2. to avoid desertification (mud pit)
3. to avoid severe compaction

Soil is silt loam and periodically wet in winter (in part why i'd like to constrain the winter yard).

Under the current plan I'd have around 0.2 acres (8,700 sq ft./800sq m/0.08 ha) not including area for a modest shed that integrates with garden compost and chickens and a double fenced perimeter hedge with another 2000 sq ft devoted primarily to 'cut and heave' forage. The alternative could include leasing land from a neighbor.

Thanks for any advice...

Paul Cereghino
Olympia, WA