permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 'resurrecting' the thread about spirituality and permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 'resurrecting' the thread about spirituality and permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 06:14:41 -0400

Paul d'Aoust wrote:
On Mon, 2007-19-03 at 20:52 -0400, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

Roll the stone away, Lazarus arises from his slumber.

ha ha! That was swift on the draw.

I was raised in the Episcopal Church, baptised and confirmed, was crucifer
and acolyte,

funny, same here, only in the Catholic church. (Some say the Episcopal
church is more Catholic than the Catholics themselves :-)

Maybe so in some ways but in historical perspective the Catholic tradition
may be deeper and stronger that Anglican
which in some ways is deeper through its ability to adapt to the modern era. That's just an impression. Catholicicism has been used to commit grave wrongdoings and sins of omission, in the name of dogma; they can't seem to keep their
focus on true spirituality and the teachings of enlightened mystics who
showed the path. Most organized religion does an
important and remarkable job in service to mankind. Participation is not for everyone but it touches many more than active communicants.

so what sort of formative Christian spirituality did you maintain
through all your changes? how has it changed?

The ability to meditate on moral principles, for one, and through this see
humanity through clear eyes, in a non-judgemental way. It helped me develop a
world view
and fix my position insofar as deciding what I should try to accomplish in my
lifetime and why. For me
permaculture plays an important role in this helping put wholistic ideas into
practice while maintaining connectedness.

The sixties was an important era. It was a cultural renaissance and a spiritual one too. Many important changes happened and trends were started that continue to the present, through the thick of it, in spite of all the negative happenings.
My strange convoluted karma has led me to the farm I own and the work I have been involved in there for decades. Things have come into focus, you might say.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm