permaculture - Re: [permaculture] chicken forage trees?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] chicken forage trees?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:57:52 -0400

Paul,
Chicken will gorge on mulberries and eat them as soon as they hit the ground but leave plenty on the tree for us to enjoy providing we get them daily. They drop as soon as they are ripe and many wild birds will knock them down as they forage. Anticipate lots of purple poop....everywhere. Chickens, in my experience, will eat most every fruit that I've ever grown. Though I don't have direct experience with chickens and hawthorne or mountain ash, I have no reason to expect that they wouldn't eat them as well.
Keith Johnson

Paul Cereghino wrote:
Anyone have positive/negative experience with tree crops for summer/fall chicken forage (with some secondary human fruit production value) for temperate moist with dry summer (Puget Sound region).

Specifically:
Crataegus pinnitifada (mayhaw? chinese hawthorn)
Morus nigra (mulberry)
Sorbus aucuparia (euro mountain ash)

Any other favorites that you have actually witnessed a chicken eating?

~Paul Cereghino

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."