permaculture - Re: [permaculture] goat space

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kirsten Griffiths <rkirsteng@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] goat space
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:05:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi - I am looking at the same thing (got the two goats yesterday), and have
spent the evening looking at the Premier Fencing site, because we are
considering movable electric (solar) fencing. Is moving these goats around
an option for you? Premier is having sales on some of their goat fencing
right now.
Kirsten

Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net> wrote:
I am considering a pair of goats for milk. How much yard space would
you consider minimum:

1. for psychological health of a pair of goats
2. to avoid desertification (mud pit)
3. to avoid severe compaction

Soil is silt loam and periodically wet in winter (in part why i'd like
to constrain the winter yard).

Under the current plan I'd have around 0.2 acres (8,700 sq ft./800sq
m/0.08 ha) not including area for a modest shed that integrates with
garden compost and chickens and a double fenced perimeter hedge with
another 2000 sq ft devoted primarily to 'cut and heave' forage. The
alternative could include leasing land from a neighbor.

Thanks for any advice...

Paul Cereghino
Olympia, WA