permaculture - Re: [permaculture] goat fencing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] goat fencing
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:11:55 -0600

Primal Parent wrote:
on a somewhat related matter, could anyone recommend a book/site that covers keeping goats without electric fencing? it has to have been done (obviously before electricity) but after weeks of researching, we have found nothing. i would like to not have electricity on our future land for many reasons.
cheers.
I've used 4 foot hurdles for sheep. The goats pretty much honored them too. (But I raised pack goats not dairy goats so they are used to direct requests and interaction with humans.) Sheep (and associated coyotes on other side of fencing) never challenged the hurdles. Hurdles example found in _Farm Conveniences and How to Make Them_p 235. It's just a sturdy pole with holes, a foot apart, in 2 directions so small poles stick thru in a series of Xs and stand on their tips. You roll them 1-2 rotations to move to next section. Make them as long/short as you can move without forgetting why this lifestyle is fun.

Kathyann