permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Urban High School Audit and Class

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Katey <newtribe@hughes.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Urban High School Audit and Class
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:38:40 -0500

I have not checked out the curriculum myself. I just found this site yesterday (synchronicity)http://www.globalepe.org/ But they appear to be about a network of environmental educators.

Of course, in my hyper-critical way, i have a hard time with their logo and organizational name: The planet's name is Earth, she is alive and is not made of plastic with man-determined lines on it - that is a globe. What we are doing to the planet with our extractive ways is a globalizing of the planet but when talking about her in a healthy, whole manner she is a planet, a planet named Earth.

Good luck with your project.

Think Planetarily,
katey

Michael Snow wrote:
Hi all,

Looking for people with experience working with students - primary through high school, especially inner city kids. I teach 9th grade science at a public charter school in DC (mission to integrate public policy into curriculum), inner city kids - 60/40 black/hispanic, 80% on a school lunch program (low income). We teach a three week public policy course here at the end of the year and a colleague and I would like to do a school audit, likely focusing on energy issues but perhaps less specific and more well rounded. This course may evolve into a year-long course environmental science/ecology in action course for 11th/12th graders.

I'm looking for lesson ideas - these kids present certain challenges:

many have are well below grade literacy levels
lowest levels of ecological literacy: many have little to no articulated awareness of or connection to the natural world around them, conservation, environmental issues, or the idea of "sustainability"
our building has serious issues with its infrastructure, which is, of course, an opportunity

They are also very street smart. Yet in some ways we're starting from scratch with these kids. All ideas are welcome - from simple lessons to projects to movies to watch to places to visit or speakers to present.

Many thanks for considering, please do reply.

Mike Snow