permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Definition of permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Definition of permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 23:13:54 -0500

Paul Cereghino wrote:

And now some words from our sponsor...
http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC28/Mollison.htm

Alan: Permaculture is a slippery idea to me. But from what I read, it seems that not even those who actually do permaculture really know what it is.

Bill: I'm certain I don't know what permaculture is. That's what I like about it - it's not dogmatic. But you've got to say it's about the only organized system of design that ever was. And that makes it extremely eerie.

Alan: Why "eerie"?

Bill: There's no other book about design for living. Don't you think that's eerie? I mean, how can we possibly expect to survive if we don't design what we're doing to be bearable?

:
:
:

I take this to mean that we should get serious about learning how to become
self-sufficient and independent
and that permaculture is a free-floating, evolving body of knowledge and
manual of practical skills for survival.