permaculture - Re: [permaculture] science & permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] science & permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:30:38 -0800

Charles,

not try to implement a full design at once.... I think I have avoided many mistakes... I initially thought... Maybe with experience one can
know what is the best approach for a given location...

Mollison again:
"You see, if you're dealing with an assembly of biological systems, you can bring the things together, but you can't /connect/ them. We don't have any power of creation - we have only the power of assembly. So you just stand there and watch things connect to each other, in some amazement actually. You start by doing something right, and you watch it get /more/ right than you thought possible."
http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC28/Mollison.htm

Scientists like to talk about patterns, but are bad at predicting outcomes, but we predict the future to stay alive, so science is the book that holds a hundred stories but not the answer. So we assemble whatever we can. We need every capacity to assemble the desired future. I guess we just start by doing something right. And I think your right. The more we think as we do permaculture, the better we get at it, until we are connected in ways we didn't think possible. Y'know every time I almost lop off my finger with a kitchen knife I realize that I was thinking angrily about something other then cutting! And we have dialogs with scientists, and read their stories, or dabble in that modern numerology ourselves as it moves us -- it is a powerful tool. And we keep trying to assemble "permacultures", those things that live and grow around us... and hope that we can keep our permacultures and our children safe.

Amanda says:
"Does it help to think of Permaculture as a craft? A skilled
craftsperson brings many of the key aspects of science, and spirit, to
their work - yet is not too dogmatic about any of them!"

Yes, that works for me.

~Paul
(feeling extra smug/serene today cause I just spent the evening planting
trees with my daughter and letting it get dark with nothing but candles on
that gorgeous moon)