permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture spirituality

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: sustain_ability@123mail.org
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture spirituality
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:17:26 -0500

Our personal relationship to divinity has often been confused with
material desires. Permaculture is also a modern attempt to
de-industrialize the manipulation of nature to meet man's need for
sustenance, i.e. industrial agriculture's desecration of earth's
resources to deliver "abundance".

In Canada presently, the federal government wants to promote both energy
conservation and building nuclear reactors* to process the tar sands of
Alberta (whose oil reserves equal that of Saudi Arabia). The
contradiction is painfully evident, and the moral and philosophical
questions set aside. Consumption is still promoted as the road to
prosperity.

Thus values that are essentially spiritual will determine your
relationship to nature, i.e. the physical world. If we took the long
view, I believe oil would be declared a precious resource. The long view
does not set aside moral and philosophical questions. I would suggest a
Christian approach, i.e. oil would be "reserved" for "hard to replace"
uses until a suitable replacement (if any) is discovered (the discovery
process likely requiring resources of its own).

Too idealistic? In the light of existing but unused technology, any
resource war today is, by any measure, an evil thing. Conflict and
social unrest in some oil-rich areas (e.g. Nigeria, Angola, the Middle
East) is facilitated both by poorly managed wealth and the promise of
future riches, power and influence. Diversification would demystify if
not deflate those pipe dreams (no pun intended).

*I favour a low-energy lifestyle because it will become inevitable
anyway. Bacteria that thrive in the human-made radioactive wastes (of
nuclear reactors and such) do exist -
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1016/j.femsec.2004.02.017,
but will they toil to make the world safe for humans, again?

George
http://transitions.stumbleupon.com