permaculture - Re: [permaculture] composting used motor oil soaked debris?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@yahoo.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] composting used motor oil soaked debris?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:59:56 +1000 (EST)

Hi
Can't you add a chemical to it stir it with a paint stirrer and turn it to
petrol, they do this with oil from fish and chip shops and other cooking oils
Keep smiling
martin

Kevin Topek <ktopek@houston.rr.com> wrote:
Dear Kevin,

Many years ago, 1991-1992, I conducted experiments that were designed to
measure the efficacy of different composting materials on toxin reduction to
used crankcase oil. Oil will break down naturally when exposed to light,
water and air. It will degrade faster with compost. Normal composts do just
fine when the temperature is warm. Coffee grounds were the most effective
material in reducing toxins. Just do not use the composted oil on food
crops. There are many stabilizers added to oil that do not degrade rapidly
and remain toxic, even after composting. Just add carbon, nitrogen and stir.
It should degrade within a year.

Kevin Topek