permaculture - Re: [permaculture] - Cooling Tunnels

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Laurence Gaffney" <lgaffney@bigpond.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] - Cooling Tunnels
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:11:08 +1000

Having recently installed an "Earth Tube" I have investigated this issue a
bit.
The Earth Tube I have installed is to provide cooling to only a fresh produce
storage cupboard so is quite different to what you want to do. Mine is a
minimalist (not much to lose) project whereas yours will require a very
significant capital outlay if it is to be successful. Design cost may
outweigh implementation cost.

The following link provides balanced (but very basic) information I think.

http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_home/space_heating_cooling/index.cfm/mytopic=12460

The approach has been used successfully & repeatedly in cooling piggeries so
suggest your research include this angle.

In my view there has not been enough successful projects of this type to date
to enable development of rules of thumb which one can use with any
confidence. .

So its probably back to first principles which will require design, design &
more design preferably by an engineer experienced/practising in this area of
thermodynamics.

You will need to know basic stuff like knowing the temperature profile of
your ground at specific depth over the year.

I have seen quite detailed engineering design guides/information for these
devices so keep googleing.

Laurence Gaffney
Australia