permaculture - Re: [permaculture] composting used motor oil soaked debris?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Krista <lightleightread@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] composting used motor oil soaked debris?
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:34:37 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:49:11 -0400
> From: kevin s <k.skvorak@verizon.net>
> Subject: [permaculture] composting used motor oil
> soaked debris?
>
> what i am going to be left with is several hundred
> pounds at least of
> what is essentially great composting materials; old
> hay, rotten wood,
> manure, soil, sand and various debris that is soaked
> or otherwise
> contaminated with varying percentages of motor oils
> and various other
> hydrocarbons

I have read many articles on cleaning contaminated
sires with mushrooms. I quick google search (for
"mushrooms" + "petroleum") turned up these articles
and many more:

"...But the magic of mushrooms goes beyond decomposing
nature's garbage and helping plants grow. Now it seems
they may even be the world's greatest cleanup crew for
toxins. Mycologist Susan Thomas of the Pacific
Northwest National Laboratory, in Sequim, Washington,
recently led an experiment that used specially
conditioned fungi to treat petroleum-contaminated
sediment taken from a wetlands in Oregon..."
Full Article:
http://magazine.audubon.org/truenature/truenature0212.html

"...Mycelia produce extracellular enzymes and acids
that break down recalcitrant molecules such as lignin
and cellulose, the two primary components of woody
plants. Lignin peroxidases dismantle the long chains
of hydrogen and carbon, converting wood into simpler
forms on the path to decomposition. By circumstance,
these and other fungal enzymes are superb at breaking
apart hydrocarbons, the base structure common to
soils, petroleum products, pesticides, PCBs, and many
other pollutants..."
Full Article:
http://p208.ezboard.com/f2013frm1.showMessage?topicID=68.topic

It never fails to amaze me how everything we need,
from food to shelter to medicines, is provided for us.

~krista