permaculture - [permaculture] Rhizome Culture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jara" <jara@otenet.gr>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Rhizome Culture
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:28:35 +0300

Thanks a lot Sean.

Andrew.

Message: 6
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 07:05:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rhizome culture
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>

--- Jara <jara@otenet.gr> wrote:
Sean,

This is brilliant ! You have put into words here what I have been trying to
express a whole lifetime ! Thanks a lot ! Where did you get the Rhizome
Culture concept from ?

Andrew.

Ultimately, much of this comes from Daniel Quinn. More directly, where I picked it up from, would
be Jeff Vail and his memetic theory of power. Somehow, all of this seams similar to understanding
the Tao Te Ching. We have text after text saying these things, giving words for the concepts, yet
it sometimes takes making a nuisance of oneself to finally get it. From finally understanding the
nature of the problem, so to speak, the conundrum of "what to do" posses itself. On this, few
agree.

Distinguishing between rhizome and hierarchy cultures from the Quinn perspective:
Rhizome, or Leavers believe "We belong to Earth".
Hierarchy, or Takers believe "the world was made for man and man was made to rule it"

Permaculture within the context of Hierarchy keeps me up at night. Fortunately, the two pose a
paradox. Some of the Quinn inspired discussions can be found at anthropic.com , as Toby has
mentioned and participated over there. Other Quinn inspired activity places permaculture in the
realm of "intentional foraging" and provides incite into so called "primitive culture", as Toby
has discussed at anthropic.

Currently, many more hearts and minds have crossed over than lifestyles. We have the realities of
hierarchy to consider in how we, as individuals, follow our hearts and minds to the other side,
beyond civilization. Many of us reject wealth in an effort to enjoy a simple life and run from
the problem at the same time. Unfortunately, wealth is required, so that land can be secured and
then improved. With reclaimed land, we can begin to provide place without labor strings attached
for the wayward and the homeless. With more reclaimed land, we can then transition the struggling
burger flippers into an easier, healthier lifestyle. As the burger flippers and bum disappear,
the foundation of the hierarchy fails (hierarchy needs you to feel threatened, so work without
questioning). With no wayward and struggling masses, there can be no army to come take our land
back from us. With no "one way" for destabilizing the labor base, the hierarchy can not fight
back. One or two rhizomes won't make it. This must be a global movement to be effective.

-Sean.