permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rhizome culture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rhizome culture
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:42:22 -0500

When I think of this, I often contemplate how plants can take root and grow in the most astonishingly inhospitable places. I am familiar with a location here in OKC, concrete everywhere, yet its owners must wage a constant battle against green growth breaking through in places where you wouldn't think this possible. These seems to me to be a good metaphor for what we are doing.

I think this thread sprouted off another thread where the latest prediction of impending economic disaster was posted. "Run for the hills" is common advice, but I am sticking with the city. As the situation degrades, personal relationships will be very important. I think whatever the future brings, that I will do better in an area where I already have trusting relationships, rather than moving to an area where I don't know anybody. I am active in spreading rhizomes in any way I can, and it seems to me that many of them are taking root and spreading. I want to be as persistent as the Bermuda grass that I am replacing with more productive garden and perennial food production here in central Oklahoma City.

Our house is just 20 blocks from downtown, and located near the center of a quadrangle of interstate highways, so we are in one of the nation's crossroads. The low roar of the freeway sounds is never absent, even at 3 AM. This may be an unlikely place for permaculture to take root too, but here we are, and here we will stay.

Bob Waldrop, tadpole in training in Oklahoma City
www.bettertimesinfo.org

PS. This coming weekend is our first weekend permaculture workshop, taught by Dan and Cynthia Hemenway, using our property as the design site. It has been hectic getting ready for this, and we aren't finished yet, but we are really looking forward to the experience.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sean Maley" <semaley@yahoo.com>
Ultimately, much of this comes from Daniel Quinn. More directly, where I picked it up from, would
be Jeff Vail and his memetic theory of power. Somehow, all of this seams similar to understanding
the Tao Te Ching. We have text after text saying these things, giving words for the concepts, yet
it sometimes takes making a nuisance of oneself to finally get it. From finally understanding the
nature of the problem, so to speak, the conundrum of "what to do" posses itself. On this, few
agree.