permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Perhaps Ken Wilber has the inside track? Re: Rhizome culture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Niels Corfield <mudguard@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Perhaps Ken Wilber has the inside track? Re: Rhizome culture
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:00:54 +0100

Sean Maley wrote:

--- Niels Corfield <mudguard@gmail.com> wrote:

Ken Wilber gives a very compelling argument on this matter in his book A Theory of Everything (T.O.E.)

It would appear that Wilber collects Quinn readers, as well. As I can't
stomach the metaphysical
explanation of everything physical, I'll leave it to Niels with his excellent
distillation of
Wilber's theories.
Thanks my head is swelling.

However, I do flag T.O.E. as a taker mindset, given it's attempt to encompass
everything.

Just to say, Wilber is quite clear that a T.O.E. is not an acheivable goal and that the value in it is most likely to be in where it fails.

I make a distinction between looking into a bubble and being in it. Where
Wilber attempts to
describe the bubbles, I perceive his theories as outside looking in, much as
a hierarchy seeks a
branch. Since permaculture requires observation to be applied, I perceive
inside looking out,
much as a rhizome adapts to new soil.
Doesn't it need to be both. Observer, has compassion for the observed, and vice versa.

Hierarchy can, of course, be useful for fitting concepts
into our monkeysphere. On the other hand, pyramid imagery provides a more
accessible way of
conveying the root problems of culture than what Wilber provides.

Ah there's plenty on that front, didn't I mention Purple, Red or Blue? ;-)
And yes the spiral does get smaller to the bottom.

Cheers,
N*