permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Perhaps Ken Wilber has the inside track? Re: Rhizome culture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Perhaps Ken Wilber has the inside track? Re: Rhizome culture
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:48:11 -0700 (PDT)

--- Niels Corfield <mudguard@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ken Wilber gives a very compelling argument on this matter in his book A
> Theory of Everything (T.O.E.)

It would appear that Wilber collects Quinn readers, as well. As I can't
stomach the metaphysical
explanation of everything physical, I'll leave it to Niels with his excellent
distillation of
Wilber's theories. However, I do flag T.O.E. as a taker mindset, given it's
attempt to encompass
everything.

I make a distinction between looking into a bubble and being in it. Where
Wilber attempts to
describe the bubbles, I perceive his theories as outside looking in, much as
a hierarchy seeks a
branch. Since permaculture requires observation to be applied, I perceive
inside looking out,
much as a rhizome adapts to new soil. Hierarchy can, of course, be useful
for fitting concepts
into our monkeysphere. On the other hand, pyramid imagery provides a more
accessible way of
conveying the root problems of culture than what Wilber provides.