permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Farm design online

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, <permaculture@openpermaculture.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Farm design online
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:53:17 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Blaha" <rich@mossbackfarm.com>
When I first became interested in permaculture ~15 years ago, site plans
were hard to come by, and as the internet grew, I was hoping that we'd
see more and more plans online. Well, they're still pretty hard to come
by, but here's my contribution to the Open Source permaculture movement.

Thanks very much for this. Why is it that so few site plans are available? I have thought a bit about this, but haven't come up with anything. I had never seen an actual design report until I enrolled in the online PDC taught by Barking Frogs Permaculture, which includes a sample design as part of the reading package, and then of course I have had access to the designs being developed by the other students, but that's it. I intend to make mine available once it has been completed and passed which hopefully will be later this year. I don't know how people do something like this in a two week course, our online PDC started in September 2005 and finished in April 2006, and I was not able to master the material and develop the design report in that time frame, so I am taking it again in the coming year to learn more and to finish the report and become certified (you can repeat it the following year as a monitor without additional payment).

The "Open Source Permaculture" phrase is great, btw. Maybe it will sprout a new rhizome in the public domain.

Bob Waldrop, OKC