permaculture - Re: [permaculture] National Animal ID program

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Heather " <Heather@ecoversity.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] National Animal ID program
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:55:33 -0700

Hi everyone,

I am an organic farmer, with goats, chickens and turkeys. I have known
"this guy" and his wife for years. I cannot give his name without
asking him first, but I saw him at the organic conference last weekend
and was in the process of telling friends about this terrible
development and discussing how it might impact us. He let me know that
he was very involved. I'm sure there are corporations profiting on
this, he is just the developer of technologies used in this process. He
is the man who invented the credit card swipe machine, and has been
involved for a long time with this project. He runs a thousand cattle
on an organic ranch, using sustainable rotational cropping. His wife
was presenting at the organic conference on the effects of global
warming on carbon sequestering in the soil, as well as talking about
their techniques of seeding land by feeding their cattle the forage that
they want planted in a confined area.

Anyway.... I will contact him and get more details on this. I am sorry
that it has caused such a furor on this listserve, but I did not make it
up. I am an honest person who has been an organic farmer for years.
This concerns me a great deal. However, I think that these things are
rarely as black and white as the Disney movies would make us think. It
doesn't surprise me that this is hitting Texas especially hard, as it is
cattle country. Mad cow disease is scary stuff. I find myself
wondering if the impact of this will differ considerably per state. I
am from VT and find it hard to believe that the state gov. there would
allow this to get very far, no matter how hard the feds try to push it.

I will do more research and let you all know what I find out. Again, I
am sorry to have caused such a stir. Hopefully, we will all leave the
conversation a little more informed with some tools for making a
difference.

Heather