permaculture - [permaculture] aquaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] aquaculture
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:00:30 -0500

George, et.al.,
I recently met some folks in Western Kentucky who are doing some amazing mercury-, hormone-, and GMO-free, fish polyculture in 400 Acres of ponds. The especially interesting part is their use of paddlefish, a North American native species related to sturgeon and a filter feeder, which keeps their pond system much cleaner and converts algae, a pollutant, into a food resource. An additional payoff is in the form of caviar, a specialty food currently soaring in price due to stock depletion in the rest of the world.
Check 'em out at http://www.ourbestcatch.com/
Keith

sustain_ability@123mail.org wrote:

Hello Lawrence,
I subscribed to all newsgroups. Rec.pond is a spam factory, sadly. I was
hoping for an authoritative source. My property doesn't have many
redeeming features, and I was looking at fish farming as a way out.
Best Wishes
George