permaculture - Re: [permaculture] olive guilds? olives in a food forest?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Forest Garden" <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: <blissett@optonline.net>, "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] olive guilds? olives in a food forest?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 01:55:08 -0600

Hi David,

I too am looking at how to make a guild for olives. I've heard Dr. Elaine
Ingram (the soil food web guru) mention that lavendar is a great companion
plant for olives. Something about the root zones being very compatable, or
maybe it was the microbes..

At a local olive orchard we observed that the olive trees planted nearest to
a big live oak were much healthier and bigger than the others further away.

I am planning on planting a group of dwarf olive trees around the perimeter
of a honey locust, with some lavendar tucked in here and there. I am
looking for a good herbal cover crop - clover or vetch maybe?

Marjory